Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Street Numbers

No sooner than I get my fill of taking large numbers of photos of one thing (wrought iron), I find that I'm on to another.  This time it's street numbers.  Unlike wrought iron, which is everywhere in Paris and apparently in as many forms as there are fish in the sea, when it comes to numbers, you have to look a lot harder for the differences.  So to start, you've got your classic:

And then starts the fun.  First, add a few curlicues and stone frills to your basic number:



But why stop there?











And my personal favorite?  Something for the vertically challenged amongst us (including me.)



7 comments:

debbie in toronto said...

what does the BIS mean after the number?

Anne said...

Debbie: Shocking comment from such a loyal reader! Did you already forget this? http://justanotheramericaninparis.blogspot.com/2010/08/bis.html

It means "again."

debbie in toronto said...

ha ha..it was early in the morning here Anne....oops

Starman said...

I like the 17. It almost look like a figurative person. Don't know if you ever read my blog, but a bis number created an interesting situation one night because it had the same digicode.

Dan said...

Okay for the "bis", but what is the "ter"?

Cheap Hotels in paris said...

Thanks for sharing the article. I was really wondering and i get here and get amazed by the article. Hope that we will get more ahead.

Unknown said...

ter means it's the third of the same number on the street. My parents live in a bis, and there's a ter next door ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails